CoPilot Summary: SQL Server Drivers over Time

Just sticking this here for my own future reference:

I asked on 09/11/2024:

Wasn't there already an ODBC drive for SQL Server? I'm so confused, lots of drivers have come and gone, and I can't remember their history or which one I should use for which version of SQL Server.

CoPilot Responds:

I get it, the history of SQL Server drivers can be quite confusing! Here’s a brief overview to help clarify things:

  1. ODBC Drivers:

  2. OLE DB Drivers:

For the latest versions of SQL Server, you should use the Microsoft ODBC Driver for SQL Server or the Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server. These drivers are actively maintained and support the newest features1.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SQL 2005 SP4 and MSreplication_subscriptions

Hiding an ASPXGridView Delete button with HTMLRowCreated vs. CommandButtonInitialize

Why I still don't use Entity Framework for small-to-medium business applications